Tuesday, June 3, 2014


Spaghetti Sauce



No one makes home made spaghetti sauce as delicious as my mom. She simmers all the ingredients together from scratch and it is amazing.  Of course, that's how most of us feel about our mom's cooking  :)

I did come up with a tasty sauce that I am sharing today. Here's how I made it:

In a large pot, pour a few tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of the pan and over medium high heat, add a chopped onion and three minced garlic cloves. Simmer for a few minutes and add chopped vegetables of your choice. My favorites include zucchini, summer squash, red bell pepper, artichokes and fresh spinach.
Saute the veggies for about five minutes then add 1/4 cup of good red wine. Simmer with 2 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp Italian seasoning and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Adjust seasonings to taste. 
Pour one large jar of good spaghetti sauce into the pot-I use Muir Glen Organic. You can also use canned or fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce or paste as options.
I added 1/2 cup of cooked ground beef to the sauce and simmered til the spaghetti noodles, cooked separately, are done. 
*Add fresh spinach at the very end of the cooking and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese to serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment