Saturday, June 2, 2012

Vintage Love

Am I the only one who has begun a love affair with most things vintage? I know it's popular in some circles. I have friends who have collected antiques for years. Maybe it's because I am getting older and appreciate things more, or am now able to take the time to look at things differently. Whatever the cause, I have begun to enjoy looking at all things old and am considering adding older furniture pieces into my home.




My grandfather dealt in antiques and "junk". I have childhood memories of going to auctions where he would bid on boxes of unknown treasures. He had the better part of an entire block in Honey Grove, Tx-two extra buildings (along with an old railroad car and a detached garage behind the house that held treasures) that he ran as a collector's paradise/store. There was so much stuff inside the shops that you merely had pathways to get around the shops. He knew EXACTLY where everything was inside. I would spend hours going through the places-of course I wanted to take home more than my wise mother would allow me to-but it was fun being a kid and visiting there.

He had a guestbook that was signed by visitors and customers from all over! It amazed me how people from far away places ever found his shops in the tiny town also known as "The Sweetest Town in Texas". But they did. It provided fellowship for my semi-retired grandfather. Almost every time I sit outside underneath the willow trees in my backyard in the summertime now, I think of him. He sat underneath the shade trees in front of his stores daily and placed extra chairs around his. It was a local informal meeting place for many of the locals to stop for a visit. Many good times were had on his corner, I am certain.

I happened upon an antique store in Handley last week. Inside were so many items that I was sure I had seen once upon a time. Even the smell of that store reminded me of Honey Grove. Funny how memories are connected to all of our senses. It's also funny how people can change to allow part of their past to become blended into their present. And, it's crazy to think of how time quickly passes by-making things from our childhood to suddenly be known as "Vintage" a.k.a. "Old/Antique"! :)

Take a moment to reflect on where you have been, where you are headed, and thank God for every second of this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment