Sunday, November 27, 2011

Deck the Halls Installment #3: There's a story behind this tree...



There's a story behind this tree.....I had been admiring a tree full of golden angels at Garden Ridge one year and had decided that if it were on sale after Christmas, and if I had any money left over,  I would try to buy it.

Luckily, I received $200 that year as a gift. So, very early on December 26, I waited outside the store in the cold with other bargain shoppers waiting for the doors to open. Once they did, I rushed to "my" angel tree, stood guard and looked for an employee, who was nowhere to be found. I ran around the store and located one and told him I wanted to buy the tree, decorations and all. He got a manager, because I wanted to buy it as it stood, lock, stock and barrel for a mere $200.

Somehow, I convinced the manager to accept my offer, if I would be responsible for "un-decorating" it myself, which I gladly did! While the store's employee disappeared to find a box for me to use, I had to keep multiple customers from taking ornaments off of my tree! Hahaha..I bet I was a sight! When the employee finally returned, I excitedly placed the treasured angel ornaments into an empty cardboard box, placed the tree on a flatbed cart, paid for my find, and proudly took it home. This 7.5'  tree came with gold ribbon, gold plastic beaded garland and more gold angels than I cared to count. I was thrilled! (It does have a gold tree skirt, but I have a dog who insists on peeing on our tree skirts, so I don't put them out!).

 I place this golden covered gem in my entry every year. When I divorced in 1999, my soon to be ex-husband demanded possession of my tree in mediation. Needless to say, he did not get it! Unfortunately, over time, lights began to go out, and a well meaning friend bent the tree pretty badly one year while helping me put it away. So, I replaced the original tree with a 9 footer. Over the years, I have added new ribbon and a few ornaments, but, basically, it still stands proudly in our hallway, greeting our guests and reminding me that every once in a while, you can find a real bargain that not only makes your home more festive, but also has an interesting past. Just like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment